[Updated: August 2017]
During diarrhea, your baby’s bowel movements appear watery, stinky, different color, and loose in motions. Your infant becomes irritated, cranky & restless because of frequent bowel movements. Teething time can trigger loose motions in your child but infection due to virus or bacteria can also be the another reason.
During diarrhea, your baby loses water and minerals called electrolytes which lead to dehydration in your child. As immune system of your infant is still developing various environmental factors can disturb your kid’s tummy. You should take extra precautions about baby’s food in summers, winters, and monsoon.
As a mom, its very difficult to see your baby in pain. Sometimes common diseases like loose motions help in making your baby’s immune system strong. I always prefer to use the home remedies for loose motions for my baby for few days rather than using medicines from the day one.
Home Remedies to Cure Loose Motions in Babies
If your baby is below six months then avoid any kind of home remedy. Consult baby’s pediatric to seek medical help.
1. Sabudana Water for Loose Motions in Babies
Give your baby sabudana ka pani. Process to make sadubana water is as below.
- Soak sabudana for 1 hour.
- Put sufficient water and keep it on boiling
- Boil till sabudana get completely immersed in water.
- Strain and give sabudana water to your baby to cure loose motions.
2. ORS as Home Remedy
Give your baby plenty of fluids. Babies tend to dehydrate faster than adults. Give your baby ORS (Oral Rehydration Salts). ORS is a special combination of dry salts that is mixed with safe water. Oral Rehydration Salts can help replace the fluids lost due to diarrhoea. You can buy ORS sachets from market or make ORS at home.
It is the most effective and least expensive way to manage dehydration.
6 teaspoons of sugar
1/2 teaspoon of salt
1 liter of filter water
Dissolved the sugar, salt in water. Give this solution to your child to drink after every 2 hours.
3. Banana for treating diarrhea in babies
Give your baby mashed banana. Or you can try to give banana with a little curd. It is the most traditional home remedy to stop loose and it works wonders. Banana provide strength and energy.
4. Pomegranate cures loose motions in kids
Give pomegranate juice at regular intervals. This will help in rehydrating the child. Blend the pomegranate seeds in a mixer and extract its juice. If you think, juice is too heavy for little one then dilute it with water and feed your baby.
You can give the water that is brought to boiling point with pomegranate leaves soaked in it.
5. Curd or dahi is best probiotic
Curd helps to cure diarrhoea. Give your baby fresh curd/ dahi with roasted cumin seeds/ jeera powder. Or you can add half teaspoon of sugar and pinch of salt and give it to your baby.
6. Chawal and dal ka pani as remedy when stomach is upset
Give your little one, chawal or dal ka pani to drink.
For Dal Pani
- 1 tablespoon yellow moong dal (without skin)
- a pinch of turmeric
- 1 cup water
- Boil yellow moong dal with a pinch of turmeric powder and water.
- Once cooked, sieve to get the thin watery dal pani and feed it to your baby.
- Ideal for babies of 5 months and above.
For Chawal Ka Pani
A staple in many Indian homes, this pani is a good source of protein, vitamins, calcium and starch.
- 1 tablespoon rice
- 1 cup water
- First, wash the rice in the running water.
- Once washed and rinsed, boil the rice in a water.
- Cook until it’s soft and mashable.
- Now mash the rice a bit, strain through a sieve.
- Give this rice water soup to your baby.
7. Give your baby coconut water to drink in loose motions
8. Nutmeg (Jaiphal) tackles with loose motions in kids
Jaiphal is well-known home remedy for recurrent loose motions of infants. You can give the jaiphal to your baby using two ways.
- Make a paste of it after rubbing Jaiphal in water and give it to your baby.
- Another way to feed nutmeg to your baby is: Cut one apple and boil it in water till it is tender. Add one teaspoon of sugar and 2 pinches of nutmeg. Feed the child with the mixture.
9. Arrow root powder to cure upset tummy
Arrowroot is the best for dehydration. Arrow root powder with a little salt made into a runny porridge with water/curd.
10. Buttermilk to treat loose motions
Buttermilk is very effective in soothing the digestive system and has the ability to fight bacteria and germs.
You can add pinch of salt & black pepper powder or jeera powder and mix well.
11. BreastMilk helps recover from dieriya
If you are breastfeeding your baby then you should continue feeding your child. Breastmilk is the best solution to keep baby hydrated if he is below 6 months of age. During loose motions, you can increase the frequency of nursings.
If your baby is exclusively on breastfeeding then you have to cut down foods like greasy foods, spicy foods, dairy products which can trigger diarrhea in your child.
12. Carrot Juice is also good in loose motions
Carrots are great source of energy during loose motions. Just steam/ boil carrots and make pureed of it. Give this pureed to your baby once or twice in a day. If your baby is 1 year old then you don’t need to pureed it.
13. Honey is very effective in fighting loose stools
If your baby is 1 year old then you can give your baby one teaspoon of honey with cold water. This is old wives tales that honey taken with cold water helps to cure loose motions.
14. Starch-Rich Foods give strength to stomach
If your baby has started solid foods then it is recommended to give starchy foods like rice cereal, potato which are easy to digest. Potato is the most commonly available form of starch food which is great during loose motion in babies.
Boil a potato with a little salt.Once done, mash the potato. You can add a pinch of roasted powdered cumin seeds too to curb the gas. Offer the potato mash once a day to your baby or toddler.
Other starch-rich foods are cooked white rice, carrots, tapioca, boiled pasta (for older kids)
15. Avoid milk products when baby is suffering from loose motions
Avoid milk or milk products for three or four days until baby is not recovered from diarrhoea. The intestines will not be able to digest milk and milk products during loose motion and consuming them will lead to increase in loose motion.
Avoid milk products like cheese, milk, butter, margarine, milk powder or anything which is prepared with milk. NO cow’s milk or buffalo milk for the baby during this time.
If your baby is refusing the food during loose motions then don’t feed your baby forcefully. Just offer the food after a gap. Increase the fluid intake in your child diet. Don’t give salt, sugar, and honey to babies below 1 year of age.
Look for the cause of loose motions, teething is the most common cause behind the infant diarrhoea.
If your baby is not responding to home remedies or if there are other symptoms along with loose motions then take your baby to paediatric for treatment.
Disclaimer: All these home remedies during loose motion are from my experience, expert advice and research.