[Last Updated: 20th May2019]
Breastmilk is the most nutritional food for newborns, but breastfeeding is not possible for all moms. Instead of cow’s milk or goat’s milk, infant formula is the only other milk product which the medical community considers nutritionally acceptable for infants under the age of one year.
Formula milk is the second best alternative for babies to complete their nutrition needs.
Formulas are usually made for babies and infants under 12 months of age. Designed for bottle-feeding or cup-feeding. In babies, supplementing with solid foods in addition to breastmilk or formula begins during the time of weaning i.e. around six months of their age.
Formulas are available in powder form- to be mixed with water or in liquid form- to be consumed with or without additional water
In the market, you will find different kinds of formula milk.
1. Cow’s Milk-Based Formula
Most of the baby formulas have cow milk as its main ingredient. The manufacturers alter the protein of the milk to make it similar to breast milk.
2. Soy-Based Formula
Soy protein-based formulas are mostly used for infants who are allergic to cow’s milk or lactose. Soy-based formulas are also frequently used by the parents who are vegan.
3. Extensively Hydrolyzed Formula
Protein hydrolysate formulas contain protein that’s been broken down into smaller sizes than are those in cow’s milk and soy-based formulas. Protein hydrolysate formulas are meant for babies who don’t tolerate cow’s milk or soy-based formulas.
4. Specialized Formula
These are special formulas designed for premature infants and those with specific medical conditions.
Things to take care while introducing the formula milk
- Choose the one formula milk for your baby and stick to it. Don’t keep switching the formula milk often.
- When you introduce the formula milk, it is common that your baby may have spitting, colic or gas problems.
- If your baby has certain kind of allergies because of formula milk then talk to pediatric immediately and change the formula milk only after consulting the doctor.
- While purchasing the formula milk, always check the expiry date.
- Once opened the formula container, use it within the suggested time period.
Our Best Pick Formula Milk for Babies
Best Formula Milk Brands for Babies
#1. Nestle NAN PRO 1 Infant Formula
NAN PRO 1 is a spray dried Infant Formula with probiotics for infants up to 6 months when they are not breastfed. It is available in different packs according to the age stage of your baby.
What we liked about Nestle NAN Pro Infant Formula
It is very close to mother milk. NAN Pro contains B.lactis probiotics culture which helps to increase the number of bifidobacteria in the gut flora of infants.
Probiotics really do great for the colic. Colic is a very common problem in the infants which irritates them and as a result, baby keeps crying all day. The presence of probiotics helps fighting with colic problems and in a way gives a happy baby.
Nestle as a brand is also trusted for years.
- Contains DHA ARA
- Contains Whey Proteins
- Contains Vitamin A, C, D, Iron and Zinc
- DHA supports baby's normal brain development
#2. Similac Advance
It has OptiGRO to support your baby’s brain and eye development. It contains minerals, carbohydrates, proteins, a special blend of omega 3 and 6 fatty acids, choline, iron, taurine, iodine, folic acid, and zinc which are good for brain cell growth and building the stronger immunity.
What we liked about Similac Advance Formula Milk
I have personally used it for my son until 2 years of his age. It’s fairly priced and highly recommended by doctors. Designed to be closer than ever to breast milk. It is very commonly used by formula feeding moms.
- Contains neuro-nutrients such as Omega 3 and 6 fatty acids [precursors of DHA and ARA], choline, iron, taurine, iodine, folic acid and zinc that are known to support baby's brain development
- Calcium, vitamin D and phosphorus that are known to support baby's bone development
- Essential fatty acids, vitamins and minerals (such as calcium and iron) that are known to support healthy growth of the baby
- Storage instructions: This jar contains a sealed foil pouch. Once foil pouch has been opened, contents should be used within 2 weeks or within expiry date whichever is earlier. Please do not empty contents of the foil into the container. For extra protection, continue to keep the foil pouch inside the jar. After use, snap shut the lid of the jar and store in a cool, dry place (not in refrigerator)
3. Enfamil A+ Formula Milk
It contains clinically recommended levels of Docosahexaenoic acid (DHA) and Arachidonic acid (ARA), which are needed for the baby’s brain development. It also contains dietary fibers with whey proteins.
What we liked about Enfamil A+
A baby’s brain grows more than double in size in the first year of baby’s life. A baby’s brain contains DHA which is an important building block of the brain. It is tummy friendly and easy to digest.
- Enfamil A+ Stage 1: Infant Formula 400gm (0 to 6 months)
- Enfamil A+ Stage 1 infant formula is intended for babies from birth up to 6 months
- For detailed information about the product please refer to the pack label
- Important Notice: Mother's milk is best for your baby
#4. Nestle Lactogen 1 Formula Milk Powder
Nestle LACTOGEN 1 is a spray-dried formula for feeding infants up to the age of six months. It contains ingredients like maltodextrin, milk solids, demineralized whey, soybean oil, corn oil, minerals, soy lecithin, Vitamins, taurine, and L-Carnitine.
Nestle LACTOGEN 2 and Nestle LACTOGEN 3 are also spray dried follow up formula designed for healthy infants as the liquid part of the diet during and after weaning. It contains maltodextrin which is easy to digest and nutrients that support growth & brain development. Infant almost triples their weight by 1st year of life. It contains all that an infant needs i.e. nutrients like protein, minerals, and vitamins that are essential for growth & development.
What we liked about Nestle Lactogen formula
Lactogen provides the right amount of nutrition to babies during their crucial years and helps in proper development. It is trusted by many moms and Nestle, of course, is a trusted brand in child nutrition.
- A spray dried Infant Formula for infants from birth when they are not breastfed
- Important Notice: Mother's milk is best for your baby
- Infant milk substitute should be used only on the advice of a health worker
- Bag-in-Box format ensures enhanced safety, hygiene and convenience
- Customer Care:contact_us on: [ :1800-103-1947 , Tel: +91-124-412-1212]
5. Enfagrow A+ Nutritional Milk Powder
Enfagrow A+ (Chocolate) with DHA Plus, has key nutrients to help support holistic brain development important for Intellectual, Motor, Emotional and Communication skills.
It is nutritionally balanced milk formula for children 2 years and above. The DHA in Enfagrow A+ is specifically approved for use in pediatric nutrition DHA which is difficult to get at adequate levels from a child’s commonly consumed food like milk, wheat, rice, vegetables, fruits, and chicken. Enfagrow A+ already has milk solids and hence it has to be added to water.
What we liked about Enfagrow A+ Nutritional Milk Powder
It is the only formula which comes to children of 2 years and above. It consists of all the important nutrition required for a growing child.
#6. Farex Low Birth Weight Infant Formula
It is designed for premature/low birth weight babies, born before 37 weeks, weighing less than 2.5kg. It provides tailored that supports growth, development, and immunity at all stages
PreciNutri+ provides tailored nutrition that supports growth, development, and immunity at all stages.
What we liked about Farex LBW Infant Formula
It’s a lifesaver for low birth and premature babies. It really helps in proper nutrition and weight gain.
- PreciNutri+ provides tailored nutrition that supports growth, development and immunity at all stages
- It comes with PRECI CUP for proper feed preparation
- 0 - 6 months
#7. Dexolac Infant Formula for Baby
Dexolac infant formula has ingredients to boost immune growth and brain development in infants. It has the higher content of amino acids and lecithin to improve the overall growth of your baby consists of essential nutrients and maltodextrin along with whey protein. These nutrients support the optimum growth of infants in early months.
Whey proteins are easy to digest. The protein content is modified to reduce the overload on infant’s kidneys. It contains ingredients that support strong bones with calcium, phosphorus, magnesium and vitamin D and iron.
What we liked about Dexolac Infant formula
It is nutrient and protein-rich formula as well as increases immunity in the babies.
- Dexolac is powdered milk substitute. It is specially designed for the baby's overall growth and development
- Dexolac is suitable for babies in the 0 to 24 months age group
- Contains ingredients that support immune function, digestive health, brain development, strong bones
Formula Milk For Babies Having Lactose Intolerance
#8. Similac Isomil
It is made for infants who suffer from lactose intolerance, milk allergy, and diarrhea. Similac Soy Isomil contains soy to soothe the tummy. It has OptiGRO which is a blend of DHA, lutein and vitamin E to support your baby’s brain and eye development. This drink is ideal for kids aged 0 to 24 Months.
What we liked about Similac Isomil
Fussiness and gas are very common in babies and Isomil is easy-to-digest soy protein-based formula for common feeding problems like this. It is also Gluten-free. It is one of its kind and a relief for mothers with babies who suffer from lactose intolerances and gluten intolerances.
- Soy based, milk free, lactose free spray dried infant formula
- Essential fatty acids, Vitamins and Minerals (such as Calcium and Iron) that are known to support healthy growth of the baby
- Meets the special nutritional needs of infants suffering from lactose intolerance, milk allergy and diarrhoea
- Important Notice: Mother's Milk is Best for your Baby
#9. Neocate LCP Infant Formula Powder
It is Amino acid-based hypoallergenic infant formula powder.Neocate LCP was designed for infants aged 0-12 months, suffering from Cow‘s milk allergy, Multiple foods or protein allergies, Eosinophilic oesophagitis (EoE), Gastro-oesophageal reflux disease (GORD) and other medical conditions for which an amino acid-based diet is required. Neocate LCP is not intended to replace breast milk.
However, if you are unable to breastfeed your baby at this stage, Neocate LCP is nutritionally complete. That means, when taken in the correct amounts, it will meet the nutrient requirements needed for your baby’s growth and development.
What we liked about Neocate LCP Infant Formula
It is suitable for the dietary management of babies with multiple intolerances. Although you have to pay a huge price to buy it. But when it comes to your baby’s health, we consider only priorities.
How to Prepare Formula Milk for Baby
- Make sure the feeding bottle is properly washed and sanitized.
- Boil water to prepare formula. Allow it to cool down to temperature as 70 degrees C as it is not too hot nor too cold.
- Next, check the instructions on the formula pack to know about the exact quantity of scoops to be mixed with a said amount of water.
- Put water firstly up to the desired level, then add the formula milk powder. After this, close the lid tightly and shake the bottle to mix the contents thoroughly.
- Before starting feeding your baby, please ensure the milk is not too hot. You can do this by tipping a few drops on your wrist. If you feel it’s hot, you can cool it down under running water or place the bottle in a bowl with cold water.
Breastmilk is best for your baby. Formula food is used only for special medical purposes and should always be used under the medical supervision of your healthcare professional. Please check the pack for precautions and preparation details.
The quantity of feed should be determined by a healthcare professional only and is dependent on the age, body weight and medical condition of the infant.