Are dark circles taking away the natural charm of your face?
Do you look at the mirror and worry about the dark circles under your eyes?
Are you looking for an effective remedy that helps lighten the dark skin under your eyes?
If yes, you are not alone. A lot of people find their eyes lined by dark circles as they grow.
Inadequate sleep, prolonged screen time, high levels of pollution, stress, depression, chronic illnesses, allergies, dehydration, and improper nutrition are some common causes of dark circles seen in many people.
Did you know that iron deficiency can also lead to pigmentation around the eyes?
Did you also know that many people have genetically, darker under eye skin, and it gets worse with sun exposure?
Dark circles can also happen with repetitive rubbing and scratching of the delicate skin around the eyes and even when you use harsh chemical ridden products around your eyes.
The reasons can be many, but when it comes to treating the delicate skin around your eyes, home remedies are the best solution. Not only are they safe, they are also super effective and easily doable. Read on to find out.
Here are some easy to use home remedies that will not only lighten your dark circles but also nourish and hydrate the skin under and around your eyes making your face glow.
Almonds are a very good source of vitamin E. Almond oil can be used around the eyes as it softens the skin and nourishes it from within. It is also known to be a perfect remedy to treat the under eye dark circles because of these beneficial properties.
- Sweet almond oil – a few drops
- Take a bowl and put some drops of sweet almond oil in it.
- Now, using the tip of your ring finger, apply the oil to your dark circles.
- When we use this finger, the pressure automatically becomes controlled.
- Now lightly massage the oil in by using the circular motion.
- Leave it on overnight.
- Wash it off with cold water the next morning and pat dry.
You can do this every night before going to bed until you find the dark circles have reduced.
Almond oil comes in two types – bitter and sweet oil. Bitter almond oil is used in aromatherapy and should not be used on skin or taken orally.
This natural extract has a number of benefits and one of them is treating the pigmentation and dark circles under the eyes. Aloe Vera has nourishing properties which reduce dark pigmentation from under the eye to make the skin lighter and healthier.
- Fresh aloe vera gel – 1 tsp
- Cotton pad – 1
- Take some Aloe Vera gel in a bowl and mix it well.
- Apply the Aloe Vera gel under the eyes and massage for a few seconds using your ring finger.
- Leave it on for 20 minutes.
- Cleanse it with a wet cotton pad and you will notice an instant change in the texture of your skin.
You can do this procedure twice a day, once during the day and once before going to bed.
Apple cider vinegar is known to alleviate skin related problems, which also includes reducing marks under eyes. It has such minerals, vitamins, and enzymes which will help replenish and renew the under eye region of the face while providing comfort and relief to the eyes.
- Apple cider vinegar – 1 tablespoon
- Cotton balls – 2
- Take a bowl and put some apple cider vinegar into it.
- Now dip the cotton balls in apple cider vinegar and dab under your eyes.
- Be cautious that the apple cider vinegar should not enter your eyes.
- Let it dry for some time and then wash it off.
- Pat dry and clean the area with water.
You can repeat this remedy once a day.
Coconut oil is one remedy that is used for almost every skin and hair related problem. Its nourishing and moisturizing properties promote skin health including reduction of dark circles.
- Virgin coconut oil – a few drops
- Take some coconut oil in a bowl.
- Pat the oil onto the skin under your eyes with a cotton ball.
- Massage very gently in clockwise and vice versa motions a few times.
- Leave it on overnight and then wash it off.
Repeat this remedy every night before going to bed until the dark circles diminish.
This is one of the more effective home remedies to treat the dark circles under your eyes. It also helps in rejuvenating the eyes and reduces any pain in the eyes.
- Organic castor oil
- Cotton ball
- In a small mixing bowl, pour some castor oil.
- Take a cotton ball, dip it in the castor oil, and dab it on the affected areas.
- Wash it off after 20 minutes with cold water.
You can do this every night.
Many of us have seen people putting cucumber slices on their eyes, have you wondered how does it help? Cucumber contains a number of antioxidants such as vitexin, orientin, and cucurbitacins which helps to treat the under eye dark circles.
- 1 fresh cucumber
- Firstly, cut the cucumber into thick slices and then place them in the refrigerator for about 30 – 45 minutes.
- Take two slices and place them on the eyes, ensuring that they completely cover the affected area.
- Leave them on for 15 minutes and then wash your eyes with cold water.
You can use this remedy twice a day for about a week and you will start seeing changes.
This awesome vegetable is easily available in your kitchen. Tomatoes are one of the best solutions to get rid of dark circles because they are rich in antioxidants and offer skin-lightening properties. They also make the skin soft and glowing.
- Tomato juice – 1 teaspoon
- Lemon juice – 1 teaspoon
- In a small mixing bowl, grate some tomatoes, and take out the juice.
- Now mix the tomato juice with lemon juice and apply it on the affected area.
- Leave it on for 15-20 minutes and wash off with cold water.
You can repeat this twice a day and follow it for about two to three weeks.
If you have a sensitive skin, add a teaspoon of rose water to the above mixture before using it on the under eye area.
Dark circles are caused when the blood vessels under the eyes are dilated. Green tea helps in decreasing this due to its astringent properties.
- Green tea bags – 2
- Dip the tea bags in water and refrigerate them for a while, say 30 minutes.
- Now, place the cool tea bags over your eyes for about 15 minutes.
- Then wash your face and pat it dry.
You can do this daily until you see an improvement.
This is one of the must-haves for people who are suffering from an eye irritation or dark circles. Gulab Jal has antioxidant properties that help to strengthen the skin cells and renew the skin. This helps in getting rid of the dark circles.
- Rose water
- Two cotton balls
- In a bowl, pour some rose water.
- Take the cotton balls and soak them in rose water.
- Place them under your eyes and leave it on for 20 minutes.
- Then wash it off with cold water.
Repeat this remedy for four weeks for best results.
Honey is one of the greatest remedies for dark circles. It is a powerhouse of nourishing components, which soften the skin and make it glow. Your dark circles will go away in no time with this remedy.
- Organic honey
- Apply a thin layer of organic honey on the under eye area.
- Leave it on for 20 minutes and then rinse.
Repeat this remedy twice every day for best results.
Lemon juice has skin lightening properties and its vitamin C content works as an antioxidant. It helps to rejuvenate and brighten the skin by reducing dark circles and pigmentation.
- Lemon juice
- Cotton balls
- Squeeze a lemon in a small bowl.
- Apply the lemon juice under the eyes with the help of the cotton balls.
- Leave it on for 15 minutes and then wash it off with cold water.
You can use this remedy daily.
Make sure to moisturize your skin after using this remedy since lemon juice may dry out your skin.
Cold milk is a quick fix for dark circles and it soothes your eyes and skin. This remedy keeps your skin glowing and keeps it healthy for a long duration.
- Cold milk
- Cotton ball
- Firstly, take a cotton ball and place it in a bowl of cold milk for a while.
- Then apply the cotton ball so that it covers the entire eye with the affected area.
- Keep it for 20 minutes.
- Wash it with regular water.
You can use this remedy on a daily basis until the dark circles fade away.
Mint leaves are known to be rich in Vitamin C, which has the properties to treat dark circles and improve the health of your skin.
- A few mint leaves
- In a bowl, crush some mint leaves into a smooth paste.
- Apply this paste under your eyes and leave it for 15 minutes.
- Wash it off with cold water and pat dry.
Repeat this procedure every night before going to bed and you will see your dark circles disappearing soon.
Petroleum jelly is one of the safest and simplest remedies for dark circles. Its capacity to moisturize your skin is excellent. When you apply this jelly to the under eye area it nourishes the skin and takes away all the dryness that causes the dark circles.
- Petroleum jelly
- A few drops of lemon juice
- Mix some petroleum jelly and lemon juice in a bowl.
- Now apply this mixture on the under eye area.
- Leave it on for an hour and then clean it using a soft facial tissue.
- Lastly, rinse with cool water and pat dry.
You can repeat this once every day.
Do not use this remedy if you have acne prone skin as the petroleum jelly can clog pores and increase your acne.
Olive oil is rich in antioxidants, which nourish the skin under the eyes and hydrate it. This prevents under eye dryness and helps remove the dark circles.
- A few drops of virgin olive oil
- A pinch of turmeric (optional)
- In a small mixing bowl, take some olive oil, and add a pinch of turmeric (if needed) and mix well.
- Now massage the oil in the circular motion around the eyes for a minute or two with your fingers.
- Leave it on overnight.
- Wash it off the next day with regular water and pat dry.
You can do this every night before going to bed.
- Sleep a little more or simply lie down with closed eyes. This is one of the fastest ways to reduce your eyestrain.
- Indulging in yoga and meditation also helps relieve stress. Many yoga asanas help improve blood circulation to the facial region, thus, improving your skin tone.
- Keep yourself hydrated and have ample water during the day.
- Never leave home without a sunscreen.
Once you start using the above-mentioned tips regularly, you will start noticing a difference in your skin and its texture.