Last Updated: 6th March 2020
Hair Fall is a very common problem in men and women. Most of the women complaint about excess hair fall problem the during and after pregnancy.
Feel like you are losing chunks of your hair every day? Is the humid weather playing havoc with your hair?
All of us wish to have healthy, thick and lustrous hair. However, thanks to the chemicals, pollution, and several other factors, this dream seems too far-fetched for most of us.
Each time you brush your hair, seeing strands fall in large numbers can be quite heartbreaking.
There are so many shampoos and products that claim to cure this issue “from the root”. However, each one is loaded with several chemicals that actually make the issue of hair fall even worse.
Causes Hair Fall
One effective way to reduce hair fall is by finding the cause for your hair fall. Addressing the cause is the best way to guarantee a long-term solution for hair fall.
Some possible reasons for hair fall include:
- Poor nutrition, mostly vitamin and protein deficiency.
- Genetic factors
- Emotional Trauma
- Hormonal changes due to puberty, menopause or pregnancy.
- Poor hair hygiene
- Chemicals in hair products
- Iron deficiency or anemia
- Thyroid related disorders
There are some simple tips that will help you reduce the chances of hair loss.
These tips help keep your hair healthy and also prevent any breakage or damage:
- Avoid cornrows or tight ponytails that pull the small strands on your hairline.
- Avoid hair tools that involve heating.
- Avoid any chemical treatments such as bleaching and chemical hair straightening.
- Eat foods that are high in minerals and vitamins.
- Choose hair products that are herbal to prevent damage
- Massage your scalp regularly with oil or before washing your hair.
- Wash your hair regularly to prevent dirt and debris from damaging your hair.
- Use a hairbrush with larger gaps between the teeth.
Home remedies are the first step to reduce hair loss effectively. Most of these remedies have been tested and tried. The best part is that they do not have any unwanted side effects and are extremely easy on your pocket as well.
Here are 9 such remedies that will reduce hair fall quickly and effectively.
Coconut milk is one of the richest sources of Vitamin E. It keeps your hair healthy and moisturizes it effectively. It is also rich in potassium that is extremely important to promote good hair growth.
Using coconut milk or even coconut oil on your hair regularly prevents any breakage due to dryness. They also contain antibacterial properties that prevent any damage to your hair.
You can either use store bought coconut oil or make it at home by grating coconut and squeezing some milk out.
How to use
- Massage in a generous amount of coconut milk onto your scalp.
- Work your way up to the tip of your hair.
- Then dip a towel in hot water and squeeze the extra water out.
- Wrap this towel on your head and leave it on for about 20 minutes.
- Rinse your hair off with cold water and then follow it up with a mild shampoo.
- Repeat this process at least once every week to see results that are noticeable.
Eggs are known for nourishing hair and keeping it supple and healthy. Eggs contain proteins that are extremely important in improving hair growth and preventing any chances of hair loss.
Eggs are loaded with other essential nutrients and vitamins that keep hair healthy.
How to use
- Beat egg whites from two eggs till the mixture is thick in its consistency.
- Apply this mixture onto your hair and scalp.
- Keep your hair covered with a shower cap for about 20 minutes and rinse your hair with cool water.
- Then, wash it off with a mild shampoo.
- Mix egg white from one egg with a teaspoon of organic olive oil.
- Beat them well together to make a thick paste.
- Apply this mixture onto your scalp and hair and leave it on for about 15- 20 minutes.
- Rinse the mixture off with cold water and then wash it thoroughly with a mild shampoo.
The juice from onions is a very less known home remedy to prevent hair loss. However, it is one of the most effective ways to improve the health of your hair and also reduce hair fall quickly.
This remedy works well because onion is rich in sulfur. When you apply it to your scalp, it improves the circulation of blood to the hair follicles and promotes hair growth.
Onions also have antibacterial properties which help cure scalp infections and the follicles that are causing hair fall.
How to use
- Grate one onion and squeeze the juice out completely.
- Dip a cotton ball in the onion juice and apply it on the scalp and way up to the tips of the hair.
- Allow this to sit for about 30 minutes.
- Wash the onion juice off with cold water and then wash it with a mild shampoo.
Amla is loaded with Vitamin C which has several benefits for the hair. Amla promotes the production of collagen which improves the growth of hair.
In addition to that, Vitamin C is also essential to absorb iron. This keeps the hair strong from the roots. Vitamin C also ensures that your hair does not grey prematurely.
How to use
Method 1- Amla hair oil
- Boil some dried gooseberries in coconut oil until the oil turns black.
- Then take it off the heat and let it cool.
- Massage this oil on your hair and scalp.
- Leave it for about 20 minutes and wash it off with a mild shampoo.
- Repeat this twice each week.
- You can also mix amla oil with coconut oil in case dried amla is unavailable.
Method 2- Amla hair pack
- Grate amla fruits and extract its juice.
- Mix 2 teaspoons of this juice with an equal portion of lime juice.
- Apply this onto your scalp and leave it on until it is dry.
- Then, rinse it with plain, warm water.
Aloe Vera is extremely useful in balancing the pH of your scalp. The enzymes and nutrients from Aloe Vera go deep into the scalp and ensure that hair is healthy from its follicles.
Aloe Vera is also a great cleansing agent and is useful in soothing any infections of the follicle or the scalp that are resulting in hair loss.
How to use
- Wash your hair thoroughly and dry it.
- Use an Aloe Vera Leaf to extract the pulp.
- Apply this onto your scalp and work your way up to the tips of your hair.
- When you massage it in, use movements that are circular.
- Then leave the pulp on for about 15 minutes and wash it off with some cold water.
- This process should be repeated thrice every week, ideally after you have just washed your hair. The scalp must be clean for this to be effective.
You may also like to read – home remedies for silky hair
The curd is one of the most effective natural conditioners. So, it reduces the chances of hair breakage and damage by keeping your hair supple.
It is also loaded with proteins and vitamin B5 that are extremely beneficial for your hair. In addition to this, yogurt is loaded with probiotics that promote healthy hair growth.
How to use
- In a small bowl, mix two tablespoons of curd.
- To it add one tablespoon each of lemon juice and honey.
- Make a thick paste.
- Massage this in all over the scalp and then work your way up to the tips of the hair.
- Leave this in for about 30 minutes and wash it off with plain cold water.
- You can wash your hair with a mild shampoo the next day.
- For normal hair, you can apply this pack once every week. If your hair is dry, repeat it twice each week.
Fenugreek seeds are also excellent natural hair moisturizers. Fenugreek seeds are loaded with Vitamins C and B that are essential for good hair health.
In addition to that, they also contain potassium which aids hair growth. Fenugreek is known for making hair look shinier and also aiding the growth of stronger hair.
How to use
Method 1 – Fenugreek, curd and egg hair pack
- Soak a handful of fenugreek seeds in water overnight.
- In the morning, grind these seeds to make a fine paste.
- You can add some water if needed.
- Then, mix the paste with four tablespoons of yogurt and one egg white.
- Apply the mixture onto your scalp and hair.
- Leave it on for about half an hour and wash it off thoroughly with water.
Method 2 – Fenugreek seeds pack
- Soak a handful of fenugreek seeds overnight in water.
- Grind the seeds the next day to make a fine paste.
- Apply it onto your scalp and hair.
- Then cover your hair with a shower cap and leave the pack on for 40 minutes at least.
- Rinse it off with plain, cold water.
Method 3 – Fenugreek hair oil
- Fry some fenugreek seeds in coconut oil.
- Stain the oil and then store in a glass container.
- Apply it once or twice every month before you wash your hair.
Curry leaves contain a combination of nutrients that promote hair growth. These leaves are loaded with amino acids and antioxidants that are useful in preventing hair loss and stimulating the better growth of hair. Curry leaves strengthen the hair follicles, thus keeping your hair thicker.
They are also loaded with beta-carotene which prevents hair thinning and hair loss.
Curry leaves are also known to make your hair darker and are useful if you are suffering from premature greying as well.
How to use
Method 1- Curry leaves tea
- Boil some curry leaves in water.
- Then strain the tea and allow it to cool.
- Add some lime juice to this.
- Consume it every day for at least 2 weeks to see great results. You can also include curry leaves in daily cooking and eat 3-4 leaves each day to keep your hair thicker.
Method 2 – Curry leaves hair pack
- In a blender, blend curry leaves.
- To it add neem leaves and two tablespoons of yogurt.
- Blend again to make a fine paste.
- Massage it onto your scalp.
- Leave it on for 15 minutes and then wash it off with a mild shampoo.
Method 3- Curry leaves oil
- Boil some curry leaves in coconut oil.
- Strain the oil and store it.
- Apply it half an hour before you wash your hair to curb hair loss.
You would also like to read – Home remedies to stop dandruff
Hibiscus is loaded with nutrients like riboflavin, vitamin C and phosphorous. These nutrients strengthen your hair follicles and prevent any chances of hair loss.
In addition to that, it also promotes better circulation of blood to your scalp.
How to use
Method 1- Hibiscus and coconut oil
- Clean and grind about 8 flowers and leaves of hibiscus.
- Then heat some coconut along with this hibiscus paste.
- Cover it for a while and then turn the heat off.
- Strain the oil and apply it on to your scalp.
- Leave it on overnight and wash it off with a mild shampoo.
Method 2 – Hibiscus and curd hair pack
- Crush some hibiscus leaves and mix them with a cup of yogurt.
- Apply this paste on your scalp and hair and let it rest for at least one hour.
- Then, rinse it off with cold water and wash it thoroughly with a mild shampoo.
Method 3 – Hibiscus and amla hair pack
- Mix some crushed hibiscus leaves with amla juice
- To it add a teaspoon of amla powder.
- Make a paste and then apply it all over your hair.
- Allow it to rest for about 45 minutes and wash it off with a mild shampoo.
- This remedy also works wonders for split ends.
Check out – Best hair dryer in India 2020
Few Simple Tips For Healthy Hair
- Avoid Stress, excessive stress can interrupt the hair growth process. Try to do yoga or meditation in your regular routine to keep yourself stress-free.
- Don’t comb your wet hair. Your hair is more fragile when it’s wet so don’t comb hair immediately after wash.
- Do the oil champing minimum one hour prior the wash to give the nourishment to your dry scalp.
- Avoid tight hairstyles which may damage the hair roots.
- Don’t wash your hair in hot water which dehydrates strands and make it more prone to excessive hair fall.