Last Updated: 14th March 2020
Is vaginal itching becoming an embarrassing problem for you?
Are you hesitant to talk about vaginal itching and are yet looking for ways to get rid of it?
Are you worried that you are the only one facing vaginal itching and it reflects poorly on your hygiene?
Well, before you presume a load of other things related to the problem, it is important to understand that vaginal itching is one of the most common issues faced by women from time to time. Agreed, it does leave one feeling embarrassed and uncomfortable. However, it is treatable.
Rather, ignoring the problem and not getting it treated results in it becoming severely painful and persistent over time. Before we discuss the home remedies, let us first understand the reasons behind vaginal itching.
What causes vaginal itching?
Any itching, irritation or burning in sensitive areas like your vagina or the vulva can be caused by infections in the genital area. While the condition itself is not a cause for major concern, knowing the different causes can help you find remedies that are most effective.
Here are some of the common causes for vaginal itching that you should address during treatment:
- Vaginal Yeast Infection: Also called vaginal candidiasis, this is the most common cause for vaginal itching and irritation. This can be due to a weak immune system, intercourse, pregnancy and some kinds of medicines that cause this side effect.
- Sexually transmitted diseases: This includes genital herpes, chlamydia, gonorrhea, and other diseases.
- Bacterial vaginosis: This condition also leads to a fishy odor and heavy discharge from your vagina.
- Menopause: When the levels of estrogen drop, the vaginal walls become dry and thin, leading to irritation and itching.
- Chemicals: There are several chemicals that you will find in soaps, scented pads, contraceptive foams, vaginal creams, and even body washes that can irritate these sensitive areas, leading to itching.
- Lichen sclerosis: This condition is common in postmenopausal women and leaves white patches on the vaginal area which are usually permanent.
Here is the list of 11 home remedies to cure vaginal itching and burning.
Home Remedies for Burning Sensation in Vagina 2020
#1. Garlic for Vaginal Itching
Garlic is a great remedy as it is effective against both bacterial and fungal infections in the vaginal area. Garlic contains an organosulfur compound called allicin that prevents the growth of the candida virus. It also contains a compound called allein that relieves the bacterial infection.
How to use
- Mix in some garlic oil with vitamin E oil.
- Massage your vagina with this mixture for about 10 minutes till it is fully absorbed.
- Using a warm towel, wipe off any excess oil.
- Use this twice each day to reduce itching.
#2. Wrap a clove of garlic in gauze. Use it as a vaginal suppository. Allow this to stay overnight to reduce the infection and the irritation.
#3. Incorporating garlic in your diet on a regular basis is one of the most effective ways to prevent infection altogether. It is best to use fresh garlic when cooking for better results instead of garlic powder.
#2. Tea Tree Oil helps to cure vaginal itching
Be it bacterial vaginosis or yeast infection, tea tree oil is very effective in combating the irritation and itching. Tea tree oil contains several bioactive compounds such as alpha-terpineol, terpinen-4-ol, gamma terpinene and alpha-terpinene that have great antifungal, antiprotozoal and antibacterial properties that help reduce the infection.
How to use
#1. Clean with Tea Tree Oil
- Mix two tablespoons of tea tree oil in a mug of water.
- Use it to clean your vagina every day.
- Prepare a spray with 0.4% concentration tea tree oil mixed with one quart of water.
- Use it regularly to clean your vaginal area.
#2. You can also prepare a vaginal suppository by soaking a tampon in a solution with 40% tea tree oil. It is a good idea to use it overnight and then clean the area. You must ensure that this tampon is not left in for over 24 hours as it could lead to other kinds of infections.
You may also like to read – best anti-aging cream in India
#3. Honey provides relief from itching
Honey is one of the most potent antibacterials and antibiotic agents found naturally. It is recommended for soothing itching and burning in the vaginal area, by many experts. It provides almost immediate relief from any form of itching related to thrush. Honey is also quite effective in moisturizing your skin. This also makes it ideal for vaginal itching that results from dryness of the vaginal walls.
How to use
- Massage with honey in the affected area and use it as an ointment.
- Allow it to rest for about 20 minutes before you wash it off with warm water.
- Following this, every day before bedtime will give you quick results.
#2. Alternatively, you can also drink a glass of warm water with honey every night.
#3. Making a mixture of honey and Ayurvedic herb, ashwagandha and consuming it with milk is also very beneficial in preventing vaginal itching related to infections of all kinds.
Check out – Home remedies to get periods immediately
Home Remedies for Vagincal Itching (Private Parts)
#4. Neem provides the relief from yeast infection
Also known as Indian Lilac, neem has been prescribed as a remedy for several skin related issues. It is most effective against bacterial and fungal infections. It can also relieve thrush or yeast infection that is very common in women. It is anti-inflammatory in nature which helps soothe the itching and reduces any discomfort.
How to use
#1. Clean with Neem Water
- Boil some neem leaves in water.
- Allow this solution to cool down.
- When it is lukewarm, wash the affected area with it directly.
- It is recommended that you wash it every time you go to the washroom to ensure that there is no chance of infection.
#2. Eating neem leaves on an empty stomach is also considered a reliable remedy for this condition.
#3. You can also add a few drops of neem oil to your bath to keep your vagina free from bacterial or fungal infections.
Alternatively, apply the oil on the affected area directly for quick relief.
#5. Apple Cider Vinegar maintain the acidity of vagina
Maintaining the pH levels of your vagina is very important in warding off several issues including itching and irritation. Apple Cider Vinegar is most effective in ensuring that the pH balance in your vagina is maintained. This is especially useful when the itching is caused by the disturbance of the acidity of your vagina.
How to use
- Add two tablespoons of apple cider vinegar to a bucket of water.
- Then wash the affected area with this solution.
- You can also add apple cider vinegar to your bath every day to make sure that the pH levels remain balanced.
#2. You can also mix in one tablespoon of apple cider vinegar with a glass of warm water and consume it on a regular basis to prevent not just vaginal itching but several other issues as well.
#6. Yogurt Eliminates Yeast Infection
There are certain strains of bacteria in the vaginal area that are actually beneficial. Yogurt promotes the growth of these bacteria and is, therefore, a probiotic. It also soothes the irritation, burning and itching in the area almost immediately after you apply it. The probiotic nature of yogurt is useful in eliminating thrush or yeast infection as well.
How to use
#1. Make a vaginal suppository by dipping a tampon in fresh yogurt. Allow it to stay for a maximum of 2 hours and then wash it off.
#2. It is also a good idea to use yogurt locally on the affected area. Leave it on for a few minutes and wash it off with water. Repeat this every 6 hours for best results.
#3. Including a bowl of yogurt in your everyday diet will keep your vagina free from itching permanently.
#7. Turmeric and Milk is soothing for vaginal burning
While turmeric is known for its anti-inflammatory, anti-bacterial and anti-fungal properties, milk is extremely soothing when you have any itching or burning sensation in the vagina. In case of itching caused by dryness in the vaginal walls, using milk gives you an effective hydrating agent that reduces the irritation.
How to use
- Warm up a glass of milk.
- Then, add a teaspoon of turmeric to it.
- Drink this twice every day to eliminate the issue from the very root.
- It is very effective in case of an extreme burning sensation in your vagina as it helps the abrasions heal faster.
#8. Coconut Oil soothes vaginal itching
When there is extreme dryness in your vagina, is often caused by a condition called atrophic vaginitis. Using natural oils such as coconut oil can be very useful as they have excellent hydrating properties that ensure that your vaginal walls are restored over time. Coconut oil also soothes any itching or burning sensation almost immediately upon application.
How to use
#1. Each time you feel the vaginal itching increase, apply a small amount of organic coconut oil on the affected area. You can apply this as many times in a day as you need to soothe the irritation.
#2. Mix 4-5 cups of water with about 3-4 tablespoons of coconut oil. Wash your vaginal area with this solution 2-3 times a day.
You can also mix almond oil and coconut oil in equal portions and apply it directly into your vagina and massage it in till it is absorbed.
You may also like to read – Home remedies for irregular periods
#9. Flax Seeds help reduce vaginal dryness
If reduced levels of estrogen during menopause is the cause for vaginal itching, then it is a good idea to use flax seeds as they are loaded with phytoestrogens. The phytoestrogens that are found in flaxseed can help reduce several pre and postmenopausal symptoms such as vaginal dryness which can lead to itching and irritation.
How to use
#1. Grind a tablespoon of flaxseeds and consume it with a glass of water.
#2. You can also roast flaxseeds and consume small portions of them 2-3 times a day when you are close to your menopause.
- If you are using ground flaxseed, make sure that they are consumed within 24 hours of being ground. This makes them most effective.
- This remedy is not suitable for women who are breastfeeding or women who are pregnant as it alters the level of estrogen in your body.
#10. Cold Compressor Ice is a simple solution for burning sensation in Vagina
When the vaginal irritation and burning sensation is extremely high, it is a good idea to use cold compress or ice for immediate relief. This is one of the easiest solutions available to temporarily soothe any itching or burning sensation.
How to use
#1. Prepare an ice pack. Then cover it with a clean cloth and place it on the outer part of your vagina.
#2. Dip a clean washcloth in cold water. Squeeze the excess water out and place it on the affected area to give you immediate relief. You can do this two to three times a day.
#11. Cranberry Juice prevent vaginal itching
Cranberry is also a pH altering fruit that can help prevent vaginal itching. Drinking cranberry juice on a daily basis increases the acidic levels of your vagina. This helps prevent the growth of any harmful bacteria and also effectively curbs any yeast infection.
How to use
Drink one glass of unsweetened cranberry juice every day. It is best to consume it on an empty stomach for faster results.
How to Prevent Vaginal Itching?
Keeping your vagina healthy requires you to make a few, simple lifestyle changes:
- Drink lots of water each day to prevent any dryness in the vagina.
- Wash and dry your vagina every time you use the bathroom.
- Always wash from front to back after having a bowel movement.
- If a yeast infection is the cause for severe itching, avoid consuming any sugar.
- After hitting the gym and after a swim, make sure that you take a shower immediately.
- Makes sure that you only use undergarments that are made from cotton. This helps air your genitals to prevent any dampness that can lead to infections.
- Do not use harsh soaps and chemicals to wash your vagina.
- When you have the urge to itch, avoid it as it can prevent further abrasion and irritation.
- If itching increases when you have intercourse, avoid it for a few days and make sure that you consult your doctor.