A good makeup primer is an important step in mature skin care. Primer helps to smooth out lines and wrinkles, provide a more even skin tone, and give your makeup a longer lasting finish.
When it comes to makeup primer for mature skin, it’s important to choose a light-weight, oil-free formula and also provide hydration to your skin.
You should apply the primer after using moisturizer and before your foundation for a long-lasting, matte finish. It’s important to apply primer in a gentle circular motion to blend into the skin.
Here are our top picks for the 5 best makeup primers for mature skin.
- COVERGIRL Simply Ageless Makeup Primer
- Elizabeth Mott Thank Me Later Face Primer
- Lancome La Base Pro Perfecting Makeup Primer
- Milani Make It Last 3-in-1 Setting Spray Prime + Correct + Set
- NYX Professional Makeup Pore Filler Blurring Primer
How to Apply Primers on Mature Skin
- Firstly apply a moisturizer and wait for a few minutes to let your skin dry.
- Apply just a thin layer of primer, starting from the center of your face (T-zone) and blend outwards, using circular motions to evenly cover the entire skin.
- Then dabbing the primer with your fingers or a makeup sponge.
- Finally, let the primer dry for a minute or two before applying your foundation
#1. COVERGIRL Simply Ageless Makeup Primer
The COVERGIRL makeup primer is designed to help create a smooth canvas for your foundation. This primer helps makeup last longer on mature skin.
The COVERGIRL ageless primer contains hyaluronic acid to help hydrate the skin and reduce the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles. This primer penetrates into the top layer of skin epidermis, keeping it nourished and fighting the signs of aging.
You can use this alone or under foundation to help create a flawless finish. This primer blurs imperfections for a more youthful looking complexion.
- Contains anti-aging properties
- Cruelty-free and fragrance-free
- Improve skin tone and blurs the appearance of dark circles
- Ideal for all skin types, including sensitive skin
- Affordable product
- May not hide deeply lines or wrinkles
#2. Elizabeth Mott Thank Me Later Face Primer
Achieve a matte finish with Elizabeth Mott Thank Me primer that helps to control excess oil from your skin. The formula is lightweight and oil-free, making it ideal for those with oily or acne-prone skin.
The primer contains pearl powder that increases the production of healthy collagen, which results in plump and glowing skin. The primer also helps to hide wrinkles and fine lines for a more youthful appearance.
- Paraben-free and cruelty-free
- Made with sebum (oil) controlling powder
- Lightweight gives matt finish
- Smoothes the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles
- Not the best fit for very dry skin
#3. Lancome La Base Pro Perfecting Makeup Primer
If you want to spend some extra bucks for a premium quality primer for aged skin, then the Lancome La Base Perfecting and Smoothing Makeup primer is a great choice for you.
The oil-free formula is ideal for those with oily or combination skin and smoothens the skin to create an even canvas for your foundation. The La Base makeup primer enhances your foundation’s staying power and prevents your makeup from creasing or melting away.
This primer is also great for touch-ups throughout the day, as it will refresh your makeup and keep you looking flawless. The primer comes in a convenient pump dispenser for easy application.
- Luxury beauty premium quality product
- Oil-free formula
- No cakey appearance
- Blurs imperfections and fine lines
- Perfect for all skin tones
#4. Milani Make It Last 3-in-1 Setting Spray Prime + Correct + Set
If you are looking for a multipurpose primer for aged skin, consider the Milani Make It Last 3-in-1 Setting Spray. The fine mist setting spray primes, corrects, and sets your makeup in one step for a flawless finish.
You can use this primer and setting spray before and after your makeup application for a natural finish. Make sure to hold the bottle at least 10 inches away from the face. Infused with rose water that softens and hydrates your skin.
The setting spray helps to control shine and keep makeup in place for up to 16 hours. The versatile setting spray can be used on all skin types and is ideal for use with foundation, powder, blush, and eyeshadow.
- Made in the USA
- Used as a primer, to help your makeup last longer
- Used to set your makeup, for a more polished look
- Great for refreshing your makeup throughout the day
- Vegan and cruelty-free
- Suitable for all skin types including sensitive skin
- Greasy formula
#5. NYX Professional Makeup Pore Filler Blurring Primer
NYX Professional makeup primer is a great option for mature skin as the blurring effect instantly minimizes the appearance of pores and fine lines. You can enjoy a smooth base for up to 12 hours without creasing and smudging.
The pore-filling primer is enriched with smoothing agent vitamin E to help control excess oil and sebum production. The non-drying formula and lightweight texture is easy to apply and leaves your skin with a matte finish.
This product is vegan, cruelty-free and suitable for all skin types.
- Infused with smoothing agents
- Keeps makeup lasts up to 12 hours
- Blurs and smooths imperfections
- Controls shine and oil production
- Give skin a matt finish
- Ingredients list looks a bit scary due to a lot of chemicals in it.
COVERGIRL simply ageless makeup primer is a budget friendly option for mature skin. The COVERGIRL primer has a light-diffusing formula that blurs the appearance of pores and fine lines for a more even makeup application.
If money is not your concern, then Lancome La Base Perfecting and Smoothing Makeup primer for mature skin is the best option for you. This luxurious makeup primer from Lancome smooths and perfects the skin’s surface for a flawless makeup application.