In the United States, Mother’s Day is celebrated on the second Sunday in May. It is a day to honor mothers and motherhood.
The day was first celebrated on May 10, 1908, when Anna Jarvis held a memorial for her mother, Ann Reeves Jarvis, at St. Andrew’s Methodist Church in Grafton, West Virginia. Jarvis then campaigned to make Mother’s Day a national holiday.
In 1914, President Woodrow Wilson signed a law making Mother’s Day a national holiday.
The most powerful word…MOTHER… the first we will say and the last we will whisper.
100 Heart Touching Mothers Day Quotes
1. “A mother is she who can take the place of all others but whose place no one else can take.” – Cardinal Mermillod
2. “The moment a child is born, the mother is also born. She never existed before. The woman existed, but the mother, never. A mother is something absolutely new.” – Rajneesh
3. “A mother is a person who, seeing there are only four pieces of pie for five people, promptly announces she never did care for pie.” – Tenneva Jordan
4. “The heart of a mother is a deep abyss at the bottom of which you will always find forgiveness.” – Honore de Balzac
5. A baby is something you carry inside you for nine months, in your arms for three years and in your heart till the day you die. – Mary Manson.
6. “Mothers hold their children’s hands for a short while, but their hearts forever.” —Unknown
7. Being a mom has made me so tired. And so happy. – Tina Fey
8. I love you Mom Poem
No matter what we go through
No matter how much we argue
Because I know,
At the end you’ll always be there for me
Happy Mother’s Day!!
I love you Mom
9. Mentor, Organizer, Taxi driver, Handyman, Educator, Referee
These don’t even begin to describe all the things a mother has to be.
To me, you’re just the best mom ever.
Happy Mother’s Day
10. A mother is someone who loves you unconditionally,
guides you through life,
and is always there for you – no matter what.
She’s the first person to love you,
and the last person to let you go.
11. A mother is a woman who sacrifices her life to give birth to a child she’s never met.
12. “Mother is the heartbeat in the home; and without her, there seems to be no heartthrob.” —Leroy Brownlow
13. “It may be possible to gild pure gold, but who can make his mother more beautiful?” —Mahatma Gandhi
14. Mothers are special people
Their love is never ending
They always put their children first
No matter what the cost
They are the hearts of our families
And we would be lost without them
On this special day, we salute you
Our mothers, for all that you do!!
15. “Mothers are like glue. Even when you can’t see them, they’re still holding the family together.” —Susan Gale
16. Hey mom, do you know what I think of you?
I think you’re Berry Berry Special,
I’m the luckiest to have you as my mom.
You always know just what to do,
And when I need a hug, you’re always there.
Your love is unconditional,
And I thank God for you every day.
17. “Sometimes the strength of motherhood is greater than natural laws.” – Barbara Kingsolver
18. “The best place to cry is on a mother’s arms.” – Jodi Picoult
19. “The hand that rocks the cradle is the hand that rules the world.” – W. R. Wallace
20. “Mother love is the fuel that enables a normal human being to do the impossible.” – Marion C. Garretty
21. “I remember my mother’s prayers and they have always followed me. They have clung to me all my life.” – Abraham Lincoln
22. “Mother – that was the bank where we deposited all our hurts and worries.” – T. DeWitt Talmage
23. “I realized when you look at your mother, you are looking at the purest love you will ever know.” – Mitch Albom
24. “The real religion of the world comes from women much more than from men – from mothers most of all, who carry the key of our souls in their bosoms.” – Oliver Wendell Holmes
25. “Mother is the name of God in the lips and hearts of children.” – William Makepeace Thackeray
26. “A mother understands what a child does not say.” —Jewish proverb
27. “A mother’s arms are more comforting than anyone else’s.” —Princess Diana
28. Being a mother is learning about strengths you didn’t know you had, and dealing with fears you didn’t know existed. – Linda Wooten
29. ““There is no love or devotion like that of a mother for her child.” – Vicki Reece
30. Mom, words will never be enough to thank you for the lifetime of things you have done for me. No matter what you have, always there for me whenever I have needed you. I am forever grateful to be your daughter. Happy Mothers Day.
31. “A mother’s happiness is like a beacon, lighting up the future but reflected also on the past in the guise of fond memories.” —Honore de Balzac
32. “A mother’s love is everything.
It is what brings a child into this world.
It is what molds their entire being.
When a mother sees her child in danger,
She is literally capable of anything.
Mothers have lifted cars off of their children
and destroyed entire dynasties.
A mother’s love is the strongest energy known to man.”
33. “I can imagine no heroism greater than motherhood.” —Lance Conrad
34. “Being a mother is learning about strengths you didn’t know you had, and dealing with fears you didn’t know existed.” – Linda Wooten
35. “Being a full-time mother is one of the highest salaried jobs since the payment is pure love.” —Mildred B. Vermont
36. “My mother is my root, my foundation. She planted the seed that I base my life on, and that is the belief that the ability to achieve starts in your mind.” —Michael Jordan
37. “My mother was the one constant in my life. When I think about my mom raising me alone when she was 20, and working and paying the bills, and, you know, trying to pursue your own dreams, I think is a feat that is unmatched.” – Barack Obama
38. “Acceptance, tolerance, bravery, compassion. These are the things my mom taught me.” —Lady Gaga
39. “There is no velvet so soft as a mother’s lap, no rose as lovely as her smile, no path so flowery as that imprinted with her footsteps.” —Archibald Thompson
40. “The art of mothering is to teach the art of living to children.” —Elaine Heffner
41. “The natural state of motherhood is unselfishness. When you become a mother, you are no longer the center of your own universe. You relinquish that position to your children.” – Jessica Lange
42. “A mother’s job is actually more important than the job of a CEO. The CEOs run the company while mothers change lives. CEOs produce good employees while mothers make CEOs. I love you so much, mom.”
43. “Motherhood has a very humanizing effect. Everything gets reduced to essentials.” – Meryl Streep
44. “Motherhood is the biggest gamble in the world. It is the glorious life force. It’s huge and scary – it’s an act of infinite optimism.” —Gilda Radner
45. “My Mother: She is beautiful, softened at the edges and tempered with a spine of steel. I want to grow old and be like her.” — Jodi Picoult
46. “Once you’re a mom, you’re always a mom. It’s like riding a bike, you never forget.” – Taraji P. Henson
47. “Children are the anchors of a mother’s life.” – Sophocles
48. “Mom – the person most likely to write an autobiography and never mention herself.” – Robert Brault
49. “Love as powerful as your mother’s for you, leaves its own mark … to have been loved so deeply will give us some protection forever.” – J.K. Rowling
50. “I think every working mom probably feels the same thing: You go through big chunks of time where you’re just thinking, ‘This is impossible – oh, this is impossible’. And then you just keep going and keep going, and you sort of do the impossible.” -Tina Fey
51. “A mother is your first friend, your best friend, your forever friend.” – Unknown
52. “In the mother’s eyes, her smile, her stroking touch, the child reads the message: ‘You are there!’” —Adrienne Rich
53. Who ran to help me when I fell,
And would some pretty story tell,
Or kiss the place to make it well?
My Mother. — Jane Taylor
54. “Having kids—the responsibility of rearing good, kind, ethical, responsible human beings—is the biggest job anyone can embark on.” — Maria Shriver
55. “I would say that my mother is the single biggest role model in my life, but that term doesn’t seem to encompass enough when I use it about her. She was the love of my life.” – Mindy Kaling
56. A little girl was asked where her home is
and she replied, “Where my mother is.
Mother, you are my home.”
Happy Mothers Day Maa!!
This is a heart touching story that shows the deep bond between a mother and her child. The child recognizes that her mother is the center of her home and her life. This is a beautiful tribute to all mothers who play such an important role in the lives of their children.
57. “A mom forgives us all our faults, not to mention one or two we don’t even have.” —Robert Brault
58. “Mom is a blessing that no one can replace.”
59. “Having kids – the responsibility of rearing good, kind, ethical, responsible human beings – is the biggest job anyone can embark on.” – Maria Shriver
60. “The beauty of being a mom is that no matter how many times your love is divided, it’s still whole.” — Unknown
61. “My mother was my role model before I even knew what that word was.” —Lisa Leslie
62. “When you look at your mother, you are looking at the purest love you will ever know.” —Mitch Albom
63. “The world needs our mothers.” —Liya Kebede
64. “You’re always going to wonder if you’re doing things wrong, but that’s what it means to be a mom, to care so much about someone else that you just want to be as perfect as possible.” – Naya Rivera
65. When sleep forsook my open eye,
Who was it sung sweet hushaby,
And rocked me that I should not cry?
My Mother. —- Jane Taylor
66. “If my life needs to be fitted in a single selfie, then it would be incomplete without my mom beside me. I love you, mommy!”
67. “Dearest mom, you can be my sister, friend, counselor and teacher. But none of them can become you. You are one of a kind mother, I love you!”
68. “Mother’s love is peace. It need not be acquired, it need not be deserved.” —Erich Fromm
69. “For when a child is born the mother also is born again.” — Gilbert Parker
70. “There is no influence so powerful as that of the mother.” —Sara Josepha Hale
71. “Mothers can look through a child’s eyes and see tomorrow.” —Reed Markham
72. “The loveliest masterpiece of the heart of God is the heart of a mother.” —St. Therese of Lisieux
73. “There is nothing as sincere as a mother’s kiss.” —Saleem Sharma
74. Thank you mom for always sharing your smiles, your hugs, your words of encouragement and for all the countless times you’ve been there for me. I love you mom.
75. “Mom, you’ve held onto my hand for a while, but now I am growing up. But just remember, you will always hold on to my heart, forever. Forever there will be love.”
76. “Mother—that was the bank where we deposited all our hurts and worries.” —T. Dewitt Talmage
77. “There’s no way to be a perfect mother and a million ways to be a good one.” — Jill Churchill
78. “Youth fades; love droops; the leaves of friendship fall; A mother’s secret hope outlives them all.” — Oliver Wendell Holmes
79. “I’ve got her spirit.
She’s always got my back.
When I look at her,
I think I want to be just like that.”
— Lauren Alaina
80. “To a child’s ear, ‘mother’ is magic in any language.” —Arlene Benedict
81. “The influence of a mother in the lives of her children is beyond calculation.” —James E. Faust
82. “That strong mother doesn’t tell her cub, ‘Son, stay weak so the wolves can get you.’ She says, ‘Toughen up, this is reality we are living in.’” — Lauryn Hill
83. “Any person can take responsibility for a child’s achievements. However, only a good mother can take responsibility for her kids’ failures. Thanks for your unconditional love mom.”
84. “If evolution really works, how come mothers only have two hands?” — Milton Berle
85. “Mother love is the fuel that enables a normal human being to do the impossible.” —Marion C. Garretty
86. “Motherhood is the exquisite inconvenience of being another person’s everything.” —Unknown
87. “Mother is the name for God in the lips and hearts of little children.” —William Makepeace Thackeray
88. “Personally, I’ve always known that I wanted to go back to work because I’m confident, and I’m certain that my daughter will have a better mother in me if I’m doing the things that I’m excited about and that I’m passionate about.” —- Lisa Ling
89. “Grandmothers always have time to talk and make you feel special. ” —Catherine Pulsifer
90. “Motherhood changes everything.” — Adriana Trigiani
91. “When you are looking at your mother, you are looking at the purest love you will ever know.” —Charley Benetto
92. God made a wonderful mother, a mother who never grows old, he made her shine in the sunshine, and he molded her heart of pure gold. In her eyes he placed bright shining stars, in her cheeks fair roses you see. God made a wonderful mother, and he gave that dear mother to me.
93. Dear mother, your intelligence and knowledge have shown us the way,
and we are grateful for you as we live day by day.
We don’t tell you how important you are.
Mom, in our world, you’re the brightest shining star.
Happy Mothers Day Maa!!
94. “My Mother: She is beautiful, softened at the edges and tempered with a spine of steel. I want to grow old and be like her. ” —Jodi Picoult
95. “Motherhood: All love begins and ends there.” – Robert Browning
96. “As mothers and daughters, we are connected with one another. My mother is the bones of my spine, keeping me straight and true. She is my blood, making sure it runs rich and strong. She is the beating of my heart. I cannot now imagine life without her.” —Kristin Hannah
97. “Motherhood is priced; Of God, at price no man may dare to lessen or misunderstand.” – Helen Hunt Jackson
98. “A mother’s yearning feels the presence of the cherished child even in the degraded man.” – George Eliot
99. “To describe my mother would be to write about a hurricane in its perfect power. Or the climbing, falling colors of a rainbow.” – Maya Angelou
100. “There ought to be a hall of fame for mamas
Creation’s most unique and precious pearls
And heaven help us always to remember
That the hand that rocks the cradle rules the world.”
—- Glen Campbell and Steve Wariner