Last Updated: January 18th, 2021
Practically removing 100% dandruff, without going bald is impossible. But you can try to minimize the problems that arise because of dandruff.
Let’s look at the common causes of dandruff:
- Oily and irritated scalp
- Dry hair
- Shedding of dead skin cells
- Sebum (an oily secretion)
- Yeast overgrowth (Malassezia)
- Infrequent washing and shampoo
- Hormonal imbalance
Click Below to Jump Directly to the Topic
- 11 Best Home Remedies for Dandruff in 2021
11 Best Home Remedies for Dandruff in 2021
#1. Lemon to Prevent Dandruff
The acidic nature of lemon balances the pH of your scalp and drains away the dead skin cells present in between your hair. The antifungal property in lemon fights the yeast cells which causes dandruff.
Lemon contains citric acid and vitamin C which helps in nourishing your hair and promotes a healthy scalp.
How to use
- Take two tablespoons of fresh lemon juice
- Massage your scalp gently with it
- Allow it to settle for 10-15 minutes
- Stir one teaspoon lemon into one cup water
- Use that water to rinse your hair
- Repeat until dandruff disappears
#2. Coconut Oil for Dandruff
Coconut oil contains lauric acid which is a natural antimicrobial agent. The oil decreases the amount of microbe called Malassezia, which settles on your scalp and causes dandruff.
Coconut oil penetrates beneath the top layer of your skin (epidermis) and acts as a barrier to all the fungus action thereby preventing dandruff occurrence. The moisturizing effect of coconut oil prevents dryness and inflammation.
How to use
- Mildly heat 3 tablespoons of coconut oil
- Massage thoroughly all over your scalp
- Leave for 20 mins to settle
- Wash your hair with any natural cleanser
- Mix two tablespoon of coconut oil with one tablespoon of fresh lemon juice
- Massage all over the affected area of your scalp
- Wash off with a natural cleanser after 30 minutes
#3. Use Tea tree oil to Remove Dandruff
The anti-microbial compounds and the antiseptic properties in Tea tree oil instantly kill the Malassezia fungus. Unlike coconut oil, tea tree oil should be used in minute quantity otherwise the strong antiseptic in tea tree oil can even damage your hair.
How to use:
- Pour 3 to 5 drops of tea tree oil in your shampoo
- Massage the mixture into the scalp
- Rinse thoroughly after few minutes
Caution: Tea tree oil should never be used at full strength. Patch test first on a small area before applying on your head.
#4. Aloe Vera as Home Remedy for Dandruff
The anti-fungal property of aloe vera destroys dandruff causing fungus and yeast present on the scalp. The fungus can survive only in an acidic environment. Since aloe vera is alkaline, which makes any fungus action difficult on your scalp.
Moreover, the enzymes present in aloe vera deep cleanse your scalp. The enzymes eliminate the dead skin cells and dandruff from your scalp.
Aloe Vera is anti-pruritus in nature, which means that using aloe vera can give relief from itching and dryness that occurs in the scalp, due to dandruff. The anti-inflammatory properties of aloe vera also help in healing the damage caused to the scalp by constant scratching.
How to use
- Cut one aloe vera leaf and split in half
- Extract the gel and apply directly on the scalp
- Massage gently all over dandruff affected area of your scalp
- Wait for 20 minutes and wash your hair with a mild shampoo
#5. Use Apple Cider Vinegar for Dandruff
The hair care products, build up on your hair follicles which can lead to dandruff. The anti-fungal and antibacterial properties of the Apple cider vinegar removes the product build up and deeply cleanse your scalp and hair.
An oily scalp is one of the main culprits behind scalp flaking. Apple cider vinegar prevents flaking by helping balance oil production in your scalp.
The acidic nature of Apple cider vinegar tackles the pH imbalances of your scalp which causes dandruff.
The anti-inflammatory properties of Apple cider vinegar relieve an aggravated scalp irritation.
How to use
- Mix Apple cider vinegar and water in equal quantities
- Wet your hair and apply the mixture
- Massage the scalp and leave for 15 minutes
- Rinse off with warm water
Also read – Home remedies for silky hair
#6. Baking Soda
Baking soda is antiseptic in nature which removes the excess sebum (an oily secretion) produced by the scalp. The excess oil and grease present in your hair lead to dandruff. Baking soda helps to wash off the excess of oil and grease, leaving your scalp clean.
How to use
- Wet your hair slightly
- Rub a spoonful of baking soda on your scalp
- Leave for 2-3 minutes
- Rinse off using a mild shampoo
The deep conditioning property of henna is used to get rid of stubborn dandruff. Stress is one of the causes of dandruff. Henna is a nervine herb which calms down the nervous system that gives you relief from stress.
How to use
- Liquefy henna with curd
- Allow the mixture to blend for eight hours
- Apply on your scalp and leave for two hours
- Wash off thoroughly
Caution: Henna can dry out your hair. So avoid using too frequently. Henna doesn’t work for oily hair. The oil doesn’t allow henna to settle on your scalp. Further, the henna peels off very quickly.
#8. Neem as Home Remedy for Dandruff
The anti-bacterial property of neem helps to prevent the growth of dandruff causing fungus, Malassezia. Neem contains fatty acid like linoleic, stearic acids that nourish and conditions the scalp, thus preventing the white flakes.
The moisturizing effects of neem retain the moisture of your hair, preventing the occurrence of dandruff due to dry, dead cells.
How to use
- Boil neem leaves in water
- Drink the strained content
- If necessary, apply honey to counter the bitter taste of neem
- Add few neem leaves to coconut oil
- Boil and add few drops of lemon juice
- Rub the mixture gently on your scalp
- Leave for overnight and wash off in the morning
Also read – Home remedies for hair fall
Garlic contains an enzyme named allicin. Allicin is known for antibacterial and antifungal properties that regulate and controls the sebum production on the scalp, thereby preventing dandruff from occurring.
Garlic also improves the blood circulation in the scalp and strengthens the hair roots and protects the hair follicles to produce healthy and shiny curls.
How to use
- Crush 6 to 10 garlic cloves and add 5 tablespoons of pure honey
- Mix the content well and leave for 15 minutes
- Apply the blend on your hair and scalp and rub thoroughly
- Leave for 5 to 10 minutes
- Wash off using warm water
- Optional: use a hair conditioner to get rid of the garlic smell
#10. Olive oil
Olive oil contains polyphenols which clean the scalp thus preventing the greasy build up. Olive oil protects the scalp from flakes and greasy particles, promote healthy hair growth and prevents the occurrence of dandruff.
Also, olive oil retains the natural moisture and gets rid of the unwanted dead cells, thus preventing your hair and scalp from dandruff.
How to use
- Heat 5 to 10 tablespoon of olive oil
- Massage your hair with the oil from root to tip
- Leave for overnight and rinse off using a mild shampoo
- Beat the egg white with two tablespoons of olive oil
- Apply the mixture to your scalp (work down to the tip of your hair)
- Cover your head with a shower cap and wait for 20 minutes
- Wash off with cold water
- Optional: use a hair conditioner to get rid of the egg smell
Check out – Home Remedies for Premature Grey Hair
#11. Reduce Stress
The stress releases the pro-inflammatory chemicals that compromise your scalp’s barrier function. Which leads to the growth of fungus, Malassezia which causes dandruff.
The pro-inflammatory chemicals also cause the natural moisture to vanish, leaving your hair and scalp drier, and for irritants to get in and cause itching.
The best way to address the above symptoms is to manage stress.
Follow stress-relieving activities such as
- Physical Exercise
- Mediation and yoga
Also read – Best hair dryer in India 2021
The results may not be visible overnight because removing dandruff from root takes time. The above home remedies not only removes dandruff but also nourishes the scalp and promotes healthy hair growth. For best results, try any of these home remedies at least for a few weeks.