High blood pressure is of two types:
- Primary Hypertension: develops over time with no medical cause
- Secondary Hypertension: develops due to related medical cause (for example high BP due to kidney problems)
- Narrowing of arteries: due to plaque accumulation
(fat, cholesterol and other substances), the blood flow
through the heart is interrupted.
- Hardening of arteries: prevent arteries from expanding
and contracting to push the blood forward.
Best Home Remedies for High Blood Pressure
#1. Ginger to Cure Hight BP
Ginger contains salicylates, the chemical that acts as a blood thinner. Salicylates relax your blood vessels, making easier for your heart to pump blood through your body.
The chemical compounds in ginger help in reducing overall blood cholesterol and low-density lipoproteins thereby reduces blood pressure. Ginger prevents the formation of blood clots in your arteries and blood vessels and thus lowers blood pressure.
The anti-inflammatory compounds called gingerols and shogaols also helps in reducing high blood pressure.
#2. Garlic as Home Remedy for High BP
Garlic is a natural blood thinner (anticoagulant) and reduces fibrinogen (a blood clotting component), preventing the formation of blood clots in your arteries. This promotes smooth blood flow and lowers your blood pressure.
Garlic has a highly active ingredient called allicin which dilates your arteries. As a result, blood flows more easily through your vessels and thus decreases the blood pressure immediately.
Garlic eases the spasm of the small arteries which reduces the pressure and tension. Garlic is also helpful in reducing the pulse rate and modifies the heart rhythm.
#3. Onion as Home Remedy
Onion contains a powerful antioxidant flavonol called quercetin which helps in preventing blood clots and cholesterol from sticking to arterial walls, thereby lowers blood pressure naturally.
Onion contains the heart-healthy fibres which help in regulating blood pressure levels. They also prevent the blood from thickening, which may further block the arteries.
#4. Watermelon Seeds to Cure High BP
Watermelon seeds contain a compound called cucurbocitrin. Cucurbocitrin helps to widen the blood capillaries, which increases blood flow through your blood vessels and decreases the blood pressure. Watermelon seed also helps improve kidney functions.
The seeds have high concentration of citrulline, which reduces aortic blood pressure and protect the heart. The magnesium content in watermelon seeds also contributes to heart health, thereby helping in normal heart functioning and regulates blood pressure.
#5. Triphala Powder as Home Remedy
Triphala is a combination of three powerful herbs Amla, Haritaki and Bibhitaki, which delivers multiple health benefits.
The capillary and flavonoids content of linolenic acid and phospholipids contained by Triphala improve the blood circulation, which increases the adrenergic function and helps the body to relieve stress, an important cause for hypertension.
The anti-obesity effects and anti-inflammatory properties of triphala help in lowering edema and inflammation, as a result there is a less pressure against the blood vessels walls which in turn decreases the workload of your heart and lowers your blood pressure.
#6. Flaxseeds to Cure High Blood Pressure
The flaxseeds contain alpha-linolenic acid (ALA – an omega-3 fatty acid), fiber and lignans. Out of which fiber and alpha-linolenic acid are active ingredients helpful in producing omega-3. Long term supplementation of omega-3 brings a significant drop in blood pressure.
Omega-3 assists in lowering the blood pressure by following ways:
- Promote the excretion of sodium in urine
- Relax blood vessels, creates much more space and allows the blood to flow in freely through arteries
- Reduce the production of a substance that restricts the blood vessels and causes inflammation
- Enhance nitric oxide in the arterial lining, allowing your blood vessels to expand
#7. Blueberries as Remedy
The blueberries increase the production of nitric oxide which helps your blood vessels maintain their elasticity and also dilates your blood vessels thereby reducing your blood pressure.
The flavonoids present in the berries are known as anthocyanin. This is a powerful antioxidant which helps open blood vessels promoting smooth blood flow and lower risk for high blood pressure.
These antioxidants also protect us against heart disease by reducing oxidative stress and inflammation. They enhance blood vessels strength and prevent platelet formation.
The nutrients in blueberries help soften the blood pressure by increasing the body levels of enzymes that relax blood vessels.
#8. Beetroot Juice
The beets have the highest nitrate contents of all the vegetables. The high content of nitrate helps the body to produce more nitric oxide(NO), which dilates the arteries promoting blood flow more freely and thus lower your blood pressure.
When you drink beetroot juice, the nitrates are rapidly converted into nitrites by bacteria (Veillonella and Actinomyces species). These bacteria live on the surface of your tongue and also present in saliva.
The nitrites are absorbed into the circulation, where they are used to make a gas called nitric oxide (NO). NO is a cell-signaling molecule which relaxes your small muscle in the blood vessel linings. As a result blood vessels are dilated that lower your blood pressure.
#9. Cardamom Powder
The antioxidants capabilities and diuretic properties of cardamom are responsible for lowering blood pressure levels in hypertensive patients. Therefore incorporate a small amount of cardamom in your diet daily.
Cardamom extract increases water removal through urination and thus reduce the fluid volume in your body and lower blood pressure.
#10. Celery Seed Extract
Celery seed extract contains an important blood pressure lowering compound known as L-3-n-butylphthalide. Also known as 3nB. 3nB helps lower blood pressure by acting both as diuretic and vasodilator.
As a natural diuretic, celery seeds help in speeding up salt excretion thereby lowering high blood pressure.
As a vasodilator, phthalides help relax your muscles inside and around the arterial walls, which in turn allows the blood to flow more freely and reduce blood pressure. Moreover, 3nB also reduce the stress hormones which restrict the blood vessels and causing high blood pressure.
#11. Dark Chocolate as Remedy for Blood Pressure
Dark chocolate contains more flavonoids with a higher proportion of cocoa solids. Flavonoids boost the production of nitric oxide, which relaxes the arteries. Which promotes smooth blood flow through your blood vessels, thereby lower blood pressure.
Flavonoids in cocoa improve the function of blood vessels. A moderate amount of cocoa help to reduce the risks of blood clot thus helps in reducing blood pressure.
Foods to Avoid in High Blood Pressure:
1. Packed or Processed Meats: These are loaded with high amounts of sodium, which is harmful to your blood pressure.
2. Frozen Food Items: These are loaded with harmful preservatives as well as with sodium which is detrimental to your blood pressure.
3. Canned Foods: These products are high in salt so you put a stop to this habit and maintain your blood pressure within the healthier range.
4. Alcohol: Excessive consumption of alcohol in your body leads to weight gain and dehydration, which in turn raise your blood pressure.
5. Processed Cheese: Avoid processed cheese which has a high amount of salt.
6. Bacon: This is high in fats and also contains high amounts of sodium.
7. Chinese Delicacies: Limit the intake of Chinese food or if you want to order opt for steamed or boiled ones rather than deep fried or the ones sautéed in too many sauces.
8. Caffeinated Beverages: Excessive intake of beverages may trigger the adrenal glands that release adrenaline substances and excess amounts of cortisol, which in turn increase your blood pressure.
9. Ready to Eat Soups: Ready to use soups contain high amounts of salt and sodium which is harmful for blood pressure so look for the soup label with ‘less salt’ or ‘less sodium’.
10. Pickles: These are loaded with salt so keep pickle at side. If you want to relish then wash the pickle under water to get rid of salt.
11. Sugar: Avoid foods and drinks that are sweetened with sugar. Consuming excess sugar can lead to weight gain and even obesity which may increase your blood pressure.
12. Trans-fats and Saturated Fats: Avoid foods that are high in saturated fats or trans-fats as these may increase your level of LDL cholesterol (bad cholesterol), which can accumulate in your blood vessels, making the arteries stiffer and increasing the blood pressure.
13. Sauces: This contains high amounts of salt and sugar.
14. Pastries: These are loaded with sugar along with fat, which may lead to weight gain in excessive amounts.
15. Candy: Candies offers only calories and sugar so skip out on candy bars.
Home remedies recommended above are helpful for controlling your blood pressure as well as lowering your high blood pressure. These remedies should be implemented for the long term to get effective results. If you are already under medication still you can try these remedies.
On the other side those who have not started medication yet can start trying these remedies and see the improvements. But if you are diagnosed with blood pressure reading of 130/80mm Hg or above then start medication as well as remedies together.