We indian always find the way to enjoy our cuisine wherever we are ..
Yesterday, we bought mangoes in Pattaya, Thailand. But when we peeled it to eat, it was unripe. Now what to do with 1kg mangoes.
Quick question which came into my mind, how to use these mangoes? I don’t want to throw it away. so thought came to make mango chutney ( khati- methi).
These mangoes were neither sweet not tangy in flavour. So i was not sure about outcome. Still tried it and here is the result. Its delicious, sweet, salty, tangy one.
Perfect saying, we Indian know Jugaad ? ? ?
Sharing the recipe of sweet & salty mango chutney which we usually eat with dal or plain paratha. Believe me, its one of addictive side dish to enjoy your meal.
1/2 kg raw mangoes
1 cup sugar / jaggery powder [adjust as per the sweetness of mangoes]
1 tsp nigella seeds
1 tsp fennel seeds
Salt according to taste
1 tsp red chilli powder
1/2 tsp cumin powder
2 cups of water
1 tbsp raisins
1 tbsp Vinegar
1 tsp amchur powder [ Optional, add only if mangoes are not tangy]
- First peel and chop the mangoes in small pieces. You can grate it to using grater.
- In thick bottom pan, add water , chopped mangoes.
- Add nigella seeds & fennel seeds.
- Now on slow flame, add sugar, salt, red chilli powder, cumin powder.
- Stir occasionally during cooking till it thicken.
- Switch off the gas flame, add vinegar & raisins into mixture & stir.
- Let it uncovered to cool down.
- Store chutney in an airtight glass container or plastic box.
- Enjoy sweet, tangy mango chutney with your dal or veggie.