My family really fond of bread and we used to have bread in breakfast twice a week. Earlier, we had to buy it from the market but I was always skeptical about the quality, even if it’s brought from a good bakery of the city.
So, I thought to try my hands in bread making process. Initially, it was a failed attempt but I was determined to try it til I nailed it. Now, my family loves the homemade 100% whole wheat bread.
It’s a 100% whole wheat bread which is soft, moist, flavourful and have the secret ingredient ( love). Sharing the detailed recipe of homemade 100% whole wheat bread loaf.
- Whole Wheat Flour – 4 cups
- Lukewarm water – 1 ¼ cups
- Extra Virgin Olive oil – ¼ cup
- Brown sugar – ¼ cup
- Dry Instant yeast – 2 ½ teaspoons,
- Milk powder – ¼ cup
- Coarsely ground flax seeds – 2 tablespoons
- Salt – 1 ½ tsp
- Take ¼ cup lukewarm water, add 1 tsp brown sugar (from above-mentioned quantity) and the yeast. Mix it well with a fork/spoon, cover it with a lid and set aside to froth.
- Mix all other ingredients in a large mixing bowl. Now add the frothy yeast mix. Mix well with a silicon or plastic scraper. Initially, you will get a very sticky and loose dough.
- Place the dough in a lightly greased bowl, cover it with wet cloth and set aside for 30 minutes [ first proofing]
- After 30 minutes, transfer the sticky dough to a lightly floured work counter. Gently knead the dough for 10 minutes. You can add the little flour if required.
- After 10 minutes of gentle kneading, the dough will be smooth and flexible. Again, place the dough in a lightly greased bowl. Cover it with a wet cloth and let it rise at a warm place until it’s doubled in size. Usually, it will take 45 minutes to 1 hour, depending upon the weather. [ 2nd proofing]
- After 1 hour, take the dough out on work table again, deflate it with your hands and roll up lightly into a log.
- Place the log in lightly-greased loaf pan ( I am using 9×5 inches loaf). Cover the loaf pan with a wet cloth and let the dough rise for another 45 minutes at a warm place. [ 3rd proofing]
- Just 10 minutes before the completion of 3rd proofing, pre-heat the oven at 200 degree C.
- Once preheat process done, brush the loaf with milk or butter or egg wash before baking.
- Bake in a preheated oven at 200 C for 40 to 45 minutes.
- Remove the bread from the oven and turn it out onto a cooling rack.
- When the loaf is completely cooled, wrap it in a cling film or butter paper and store at room temperature.
- You can slice the loaf only after complete cooling.
- If you don’t have the milk powder at home then you can use a mix of Milk and water (50:50) instead of water in the recipe.
- Do not add excess flour.
- Do not knead hard otherwise, bread will not be airy ( bubbly crumb).
- Keep your eyes on the loaf, baking time could be different in different ovens.
- For the bright golden color of bread top, brush it with egg wash or butter.
- The proofing time will vary according to weather. Like in summers, proofing will be fast as compare to winters.
- You can also use the honey in place of brown sugar.
I always love to prepare kids favorite foods at home for my kido. He is really fond of breads, chocolates, cakes and ice creams. Will share my homemade chocolate recipe in another post.
Do try it at home for your kids and adults. I am sure, you are going to love the aroma and bread itself.
Happy Baking & Happy Parenting…..