Completing the 6 months is one of the biggest milestones in baby’s first year because its time to start semi-solid/ solid foods for the baby after 6 months of exclusive breastfeeding (in some cases, formula feeding). Also, water is introduced to the babies only after the completion of 6 months.
As your baby has completed his six months, it’s a time to introduce weaning foods along with breast milk or formula based milk.
Don’t stop breastfeeding your baby even after starting complete solid food. Breast milk or formula based milk should be the major part of a 6 months baby diet.
Your baby will start showing the signs that he is ready for solid foods. Weaning foods mean first food for baby. Your baby’s first food must be home cooked, soft, pureed or mashed and easy to digest.
Table of Content
- How to know your baby is ready for solid foods
- Precautions while you are introducing first solid food to baby
- 3-Days-Rule for Weaning Food
- Foods Which You Can Introduce to Your 6 Months Old Baby
- Weekly Sample Indian Food Diet Chart for 6 Months Baby in 2022
- Food Allergies
How to know your baby is ready for solid foods
- Your baby is able to sit on a chair with back support.
- Baby’s head & neck are stable.
- Baby can open and close the mouth around a spoon.
- Baby is ready to chew.
- He is curious and tries to grab & put food in his mouth.
- Baby is still hungry after breastfeeding/formula feeding & shows interest in food.
Precautions while you are introducing first solid food to baby
- Start with fruit pureed, as it’s easy to digest.
- Always follow 3 days-wait-rule.
- That means you must keep a gap of 3 days between two new foods.
- This is the best way to check food allergies in babies.
- Stop feeding that particular food in case of food allergy.
- Always feed solid food to your baby when he is sitting on a chair or in your lap. Don’t feed solids when your baby is lying on his back.
- Don’t add breastmilk or formula milk during cooking, it should not be heated directly on the flame. Add breast milk or formula milk once the food is ready to eat for your baby.
- Baby food must be soft, properly cooked and easy to chew.
- Start with a very small quantity and slowly increase the portion.
- Weaning food must be a single grain food.
- Always feed freshly cooked food to your baby.
- Do not add salt, sugar, honey to your baby’s food.
- Introduce new food when a baby is at home only.
- Introducing solid foods can cause constipation in a few babies.
- You should be careful about certain foods while giving to your baby before one year.
- Don’t feed your baby forcefully. His solid intakes will increase gradually.
3-Days-Rule for Weaning Food
Recommended is to introduce the new food in breakfast or Lunch. Avoid giving it in a dinner or bedtime. It will help you to check food allergy or discomfort your baby has after having a particular food.
Foods Which You Can Introduce to Your 6 Months Old Baby
- Breast milk or formula milk
- Mashed banana
- Stewed apple
- Well steamed and pureed vegetables like carrots, sweet potato, pumpkin, french beans
- Pulse soup (moong dal ka pani)
- Rice Water (Chawal ka pani)
- Homemade single-grain cereals like rice, barley, oats mixed with breastmilk or formula milk
- Steamed and pureed fruits like pear, avocado, peach, chikoo.
- You can try the homemade vegetable soup for your baby.
Weekly Sample Indian Food Diet Chart for 6 Months Baby in 2022
#1. Week 1
You need to follow three days rule strictly in the first week. As you are just introducing new foods along with breast milk or formula milk. So start with a very small quantity. Initially, it’s a complimentary food so feed your baby enough amount of breastmilk or formula milk.
#2 .Week 2
You have already tested two semi-solid foods for your baby. In the second week, you are going to introduce two new foods to your infant. Let’s explore two new foods for this week.
By the end of 2nd week, your infant has been introduced four new baby foods.
Mom Pro Tip: Try to fix baby activity time, sleep time and meal time. Once your baby adopted the schedule, your job will be easy to do.
#3. Week 3
By the end of 3rd week, your baby has been introduced 6 new foods. It is possible that your baby doesn’t like certain puree or soup. Don’t feed your baby forcefully. Be patient.
#4. Week 4
Continue giving mashed/pureed foods to your baby in the 4th week also.
By the end of 4th week, your baby has been introduced to at least 8 new foods. You can feed food at any time of the day, based on your baby’s schedule.
If your baby likes to have solid in dinner time, then you can feed solid food in the dinner as well.
If your baby has food allergy after having any particular food then stop feeding that food immediately. Consult pediatric and follow instructions.
Common symptoms of food allergies are
- Running nose
- Stomach pain
- Baby discomfort
- Cranky baby
You may also like to read – Best Sebamed Products for Your Baby
This is the just sample food chart based on my personal experience. You can alter the food chart according to your baby’s preferences. Like my daughter loves apple stew more than khichdi or rice, so if your baby like mashed apple than mashed pear then feed him a mashed apple. The purpose of this food chart is to guide you about food schedule and quantity.
Leave a comment if you have any query or doubt related to food chart.